SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:20:49 -0600
James M Pulver wrote:
> We've got a Brother MFC-j5910 which is working great networked via the brother LPD and CUPS driver, except if you want to print 11x17 / Tabloid. The printer for some reason doesn't support that, and instead supports the less common 17x11 / Ledger format. If I use a program that allows you to set a CUSTOM paper size of 17x11, it prints as expected (well, not really, I have to still change to landscape when it should be portrait for that size configuration)... The issue I have is, on Windows computers using the standard CUPS drivers shared over SAMBA, I can't select a custom paper size (and most users on Linux expect to use Tabloid, not a custom paper size)...
>
> Any ideas what I should do here? CUPS is on a SL5 server.
>
> --
> James Pulver
> LEPP Computer Group
> Cornell University

You should be able to modify the ppd file in /etc/cups/ppd/.  You can
add/modify paper dimensions as needed there.  I'd start by cloning the
Ledger entry, naming it Tabloid (or whatever), then adjusting the
dimensions to the orientation you want.  Restart cups after editing.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer