SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:59 -0500
On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 01:05:11 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> The argument about
> which is the server and which the client for X is...... old, and confusing.

Not really; an X server 'serves up' a display and human interface device to client processes; the terminology is from the process's point of view, not the end user's.  That shouldn't really be confusing, but it is because we're used to thinking of the 'client' as being the 'user's workstation' and the 'server' as being the computer in the data center somewhere serving data to the user's workstation.  But that's not what is really meant.

I can't duplicate Yasha's problem, unfortunately, on an SL VM here.  Will try again, though.