SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:24:48 -0800
On 02/20/2012 04:07 PM, Mark Stodola wrote:
> On 2/20/2012 5:37 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:

>>> Could you start firefox from a terminal, try the internal update
>>> process, and see if any usefull information is given in the terminal?
>>> Sure sounds like a permission problem; but you said you are using root?
>>> You should be able to destroy anything as root:)
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> There is no problem in downloading from Mozilla the entire update as a
>> tar.bz2 package followed by the manual installation ( tar -vxjf ) as
>> root into the appropriate directory.
>>
>> However, there is a mechanism, for minor release updates (e.g., 10.0.1
>> to 10.0.2) within firefox, thunderbird/lightning, and seamonkey
>> without the manual unpacking -- the files are updated within the
>> running application and the updated instance is invoked at the next
>> initiation (restart) of the application. This mechanism needs to be as
>> root if the files are installed in a systems, as contrasted with an
>> ordinary end-user, directory. However, the mechanism fails on one SL6x
>> box but succeeds on another; when the mechanism fails, then I must
>> used the manual installation method from the tar.bz2 file as explained
>> above.
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>
> I believe Chris is well aware of that. He instructed you to start
> firefox from a terminal and attempt the update process from within
> firefox (meaning _not_ the tar.bz2) and see if it has any errors written
> to stdout or stderr in the terminal. It helps if you read the email you
> are replying to.
>
> -Mark

I missed that -- sorry.  But in fact, that is what I do.  E.g., I start
a terminal as an end-user, su, and then /usr/lib/firefox/firefox .  The
diagnostics I get are not related to the update process.  Here is an
example:

[root@localhost ykarant]# /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
failed to create drawable

(firefox:3299): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

Nonetheless, despite these diagnostics, on one machine there is success
and another not.  However, the next time I go to do this, I shall record
the specific diagnostics, but having read these in the past, there has
never been an obvious significant difference.  Note that firefox invoked
as above appears to be fully functional as a web browser.

Yasha Karant