SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2012

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:43:33 +1100
On 17/02/2012 7:43 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> I've modified the webpage based on your feedback. Does it look less
> likely to confuse anyone in the future? We have an actual '6x' directory
> that works so I've provided a second example so that users can simply
> paste in the bold text, or follow the pattern of the secondary fixed
> with text.

Hi Pat & All,

I would like to make an RFE across most documentation pages to
standardise how documentation is presenting in HTML across the SL site.
I am a big believer in standards in documentation and procedure - and in
my occupation in aviation, this is paramount to safety and reliability.

I would like to propose that in any documentation, code or commands are
highlighted in obvious code boxes. An example of this is:
http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

In my sites, I always have commands and any expected output in code
boxes (via use of <code> </code> and associated CSS).

I also have any filenames or package names within text blocks enclosed
with <em> </em> tags to make them italic.

When these guidelines are followed, all documentation is much more
obvious and tends to flow instead of requiring the reader to be more
intelligent and manually figure out what to parse as what.

While I understand this is probably a big project in all, it can be
rolled out gradually as documents change - as long as a standard is
agreed on and documented to be followed.

Thoughts?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]