SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:14:21 -0500
On 01/20/2012 09:51 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> I feel obligated to vent about the ongoing mess-up of the nfs-utils package.
>
> In the nutshell, all of my SL6.1 machines are affected (not "both machines",
> both dozens of machines, 24 is the last count).
>
> The "/" directory is filling up with 1 Mbyte core files from umount.nfs
> at the rate of about 3 core dumps per minute.

Just wanted to put a "me too" out there.  I admit to not keeping up with the various nfs-utils versions and just recently joined this list.

Seemed that umount.nfs dumping core caused /etc/mtab to not get cleaned up, so you had many duplicates in the output of say, 'df'.

We don't use kerberos, just NIS and the automounter, so it seemed like a lot of the discussion didn't apply to us.  It didn't affect all our systems either.

I feel the same frustration.  I have stopped rolling out EL6 and I'm apologizing to my existing early adopter users.  With this issue and my previously mentioned email about the inability to reboot successfully (due to umount issues) not generating any discussion, I'm preparing to hop back to the other prominent NA enterprise Linux derivative.  It's great to have choices.

PS - I just noticed the mailing list doesn't add a Reply-To: field to direct replies to the list.