SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:38:41 -0600
I haven't seen a bugreport anywhere yet, so I thought I'd start here.   On
SL6 systems, we can't reboot reliably, particularly if someone is logged on
the console or if the user initiates the shutdown from the desktop.  Have
not seen one hang if no automounts are mounted.  The last messages on the
console are:

Unmounting file systems:  [ OK ]
/home:                  rcercrcrcrcrcrcrcrcrcrcrcrcrc[...]rcrce
init: rc main process (19211) killed by KILL signal

The "rc" is repeated for about 3.5 console lines (note "e" near beginning
and at end is not a typo).  A ctrl-alt-delete will start another reboot
instance and has always succeeded, but obviously, physically visiting each
system does not scale well.

Users logged in remotely via ssh seem to get logged out early in the reboot,
so that doesn't cause a hang.  My guess is that desktop gui user processes
are not exiting quickly enough and are keeping a mount busy, but that error
message?  Yikes.

A screenshot of console is attached (basically showing the above so if you
can't see it, you're not missing much).  We use the automounter via NIS maps.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!