SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:24:28 -0600
Has anyone yet successfully been able to install a SL6 guest
on a SL5 Xen host?  according to TUV it is supposed to be supported
but I am having difficulty figuring out what the "location"
URL should be for SL6.

In the SL5 on SL5 case I just use the same url that
I would use for a normal http install, namely
http://linux.fnal.gov/linux/slf57/x86_64/sites/Fermi/

the SL6 boot image seems to indicate that the corresponding URL is

http://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/fermi/slf6.1/x86_64/os/

But when I try to do that with virt-install I get the error:

ValueError:  Could not find an installable distribution at
http://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/fermi/slf6.1/x86_64/os/

The code in question, DistroManager.py has code for RHEL4 and RHEL5
as well as sl distro but no difference between version 5 and 6.
Looks like it is trying to get ...images/xen/initrd.img and
images/xen/vmlinuz, which are there.

Is there a newer version of virt-install out there that might
be able to handle the 6-on-5 case?

Steve Timm

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.