SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 01:46:10 +0000
Vladimir
On 01/14/2012 09:31 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
<>

 On 01/14/2012 12:10 PM, g wrote:
>> On 01/14/2012 06:25 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> <>
>>
>>> I would like to modify this.
>> in "/boot/grub/grub.conf" remove or insert "# " in front of "rhgb" add
>> "quiet" lines.
>>
>> in "kernel" line, add at end "vga=nnn" followed by font size you want.
>>
>> for value of 'nnn', see;
>>
>>    http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes
>>
>> hth.
>
> The above and similar suggestions partially addressed the issues.
>
> The modifications are to the parameters of one stanza in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf .
>
> The vga=nnn (radix decimal value) works -- I used 771 and will
> experiment with some other possible values (771 the decimal conversion
> of a hexadecimal value from the URL in the above response; gaculator in
> scientific RPN mode did the conversion with no issue).
>

> However #rhgb and #quiet does not solve the other issue.  Although
> additional information rapidly does scroll on the boot screen, a
> Scientific Linux 6 splash screen with a circular boldened icon section
> that rotates still does appear,
-=-

ok. my error.

"rhgb" and "quiet" if in 'kernel' line, should removed. it they are in
'main', then remove or use "# ".

i did not recall all of what i have, so here is 'main' and 1st 'title';

+++

###     fn=  grub.conf  built 2011.1203.2120
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd1,8)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb8
#          initrd /initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
## splashimage=(hd1,8)/grub/splash.xpm.gz  << *removes graphic screen*.
## hiddenmenu    << *allows selection of multi kernels installed*.

###
title Scientific Linux 5.5 (2.6.18-274.12.1.el5) sdb10
    root (hd1,9)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-274.12.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/12 \
      devfs=nomount resume=/dev/hdb2 acpi=force vga=794
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-274.12.1.el5.img

+++

changing "vga=" will cause a change in font size. to make further
changes in font size, as Vladimir stated, font and size is set by
"/etc/sysconfig/i18n" and "SYSFONT=".

as for scroll speed, it is fast in first part and then slows because
what is loaded at start are fast loads. if you want to get a slower
scroll, you could insert "sleep 10" in startup scripts. but, that is
too many dimes for the little bit of sugar.

the only reason i have my grub.config as i do, is so i can watch for
any failures. if i see a failure, i press "Scroll Lock" key to hold
screen for reading, then press again to continue.

as Kevin replied, if you want to see what happened, read your logs.
if your system is crashing during boot, logs may not / will not show
when/where it happened.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**