SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:31:56 -0800
On 01/14/2012 12:10 PM, g wrote:

> On 01/14/2012 06:25 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> <>
>
>> I would like to modify this.
>
> in "/boot/grub/grub.conf" remove or insert "# " in front of "rhgb" add
> "quiet" lines.
>
> in "kernel" line, add at end "vga=nnn" followed by font size you want.
>
> for value of 'nnn', see;
>
>    http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes
>
> hth.

The above and similar suggestions partially addressed the issues.

The modifications are to the parameters of one stanza in
/boot/grub/grub.conf .

The vga=nnn (radix decimal value) works -- I used 771 and will
experiment with some other possible values (771 the decimal conversion
of a hexadecimal value from the URL in the above response; gaculator in
scientific RPN mode did the conversion with no issue).

However #rhgb and #quiet does not solve the other issue.  Although
additional information rapidly does scroll on the boot screen, a
Scientific Linux 6 splash screen with a circular boldened icon section
that rotates still does appear, not text of the details of the boot
steps.  Hitting ESC brings the text.  How does one force the equivalent
of ESC at each boot?

Yasha Karant