SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 16:55:14 -0500
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Any recommendations for achieving this (or suggestions of a different
> workflow) in SL6 would be greatly appreciated.

Caveat, I don't know if all the programs mentioned are in SL.  I know
about them from Debian.

You might look into xautolock.  Having it call "xlock -username USER"
with an explicit user name might be all you need.  Maybe you can couple
it with a zenity script to prompt for the username.

Leaving that box behind, what about installing the BlueProximity
gnome-panel applet and introduce it to the BlueTooth devices (ie, ever
ubiquitous cell phones) that are carried by the authorized users.  I use
this to lock my workstation and it winks to life when I approach and
locks down as soon as I walk away.  Almost never a password needed
although once in a while when I approach fast enough and wiggle the
mouse the normal screen saver lock will wake first and prompt me for my
password.

-Brett.