SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:02:50 -0600
Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear on the fact that the system does NOT have
cracklib.i686 installed at present. It is yum that is trying to install
it, along with cracklib.x6_64. This is odd. I would think that I would
only need one or the other, and in my case that would be the x86_64
version. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.
BTW, apparently this is an issue for SL6.0 only. I checked wth someone who
has SL6.1 and for them, the yum updare went smoothly.
Eve

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, zxq9 wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:47:20 +0900
> From: zxq9 <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: cracklib dependency problem
>
> On 01/13/2012 08:16 AM, Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
>> I am getting the following error when yum tries to do
>> the nightly update on an SL6 system:
>>
>> Transaction Check Error:
>> file /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES/cracklib.mo conflicts between
>> attempted installs of cracklib-2.8.16-2.el6.i686 and
>> cracklib-2.8.16-4.el6.x86_64
>> file /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/cracklib.mo conflicts between
>> attempted installs of cracklib-2.8.16-2.el6.i686 and
>> cracklib-2.8.16-4.el6.x86_64
>>
>> The dependencies are messed up.
>> Does anyone know how to resolve this?
>
> Have you tried rebuilding your rpm database (rpm --rebuilddb)? Usually I get
> pretty good luck with trying that before anything else.
>
> The second place to look would be to see if you really need both i686 and
> x86_64. If you don't have anything that depends on i686 you could safely
> remove it (this is likely, but check before you do anything).
>
> And... beyond that the cracklib package specs would need to be checked to see
> why these two versions of the same package are trying to override each other
> like that. These are only language translation files -- so its really not a
> big deal if you let one squish the other (it is extremely likely they are
> identical), but the spec should already be written that way to begin with.
> Specifically, if they really are different they should be installed to
> different locations, and if they are idential then they should be in a
> separate common-dependency noarch package or take another route to avoid a
> conflict. If this paragraph just confuses you then don't bother with specs
> unless you have some time on your hands, though.
>
> Hope this helped more than confused.

Eve Kovacs
Argonne National Laboratory,
Room E-217, Bldg. 362, HEP