SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:47:20 +0900
On 01/13/2012 08:16 AM, Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
> I am getting the following error when yum tries to do
> the nightly update on an SL6 system:
>
> Transaction Check Error:
> file /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES/cracklib.mo conflicts between
> attempted installs of cracklib-2.8.16-2.el6.i686 and
> cracklib-2.8.16-4.el6.x86_64
> file /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/cracklib.mo conflicts between
> attempted installs of cracklib-2.8.16-2.el6.i686 and
> cracklib-2.8.16-4.el6.x86_64
>
> The dependencies are messed up.
> Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Have you tried rebuilding your rpm database (rpm --rebuilddb)? Usually I
get pretty good luck with trying that before anything else.

The second place to look would be to see if you really need both i686
and x86_64. If you don't have anything that depends on i686 you could
safely remove it (this is likely, but check before you do anything).

And... beyond that the cracklib package specs would need to be checked
to see why these two versions of the same package are trying to override
each other like that. These are only language translation files -- so
its really not a big deal if you let one squish the other (it is
extremely likely they are identical), but the spec should already be
written that way to begin with. Specifically, if they really are
different they should be installed to different locations, and if they
are idential then they should be in a separate common-dependency noarch
package or take another route to avoid a conflict. If this paragraph
just confuses you then don't bother with specs unless you have some time
on your hands, though.

Hope this helped more than confused.