SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:27:27 -0800
On 01/30/2012 06:20 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:
[snip]

> I know, that is why I was confused. Why would anyone refer to the
> /mnt/sysimage filesystem, while in fact it was the root filesystem (and
> it was even corrupt!).

[snip]

I was using imprecise language.  More precise language would be the file
system formatted within a hard drive partition, said partition mounted
onto the rescue default mount point /mnt/sysimage .  My apologies for
the imprecision.  Nonetheless, said partition was mounted read-write by
the rescue image booted operating system environment, and was not the
partition from which mount was executing.  I did perform a manual umount
of said partition, and a subsequent invocation of mount showed said
partition absent -- hence, I presumed that the partition was
successfully unmounted.  Nonetheless, upon reboot, the regular (not
rescue) operating system environment reported that the partition had not
been cleanly unmounted.

Yasha Karant