SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 05:16:10 +0000
On 30/01/12 22:39, Yasha Karant wrote:
> We had a massive power failure, beyond what the UPS could handle.
> Despite attempts to find a way for the system to shut down gracefully,
> it simply powered down without unmounting the disk partitions.
> Nominally, the backup local UPS I am using (APC Back-UPS 650) has an
> interface Port DB-9 RS-232 but I have not found any Linux application
> that reliably would communicate with this model of UPS (that is, emulate
> the same behavior as the application available from APC for MS Win that
> senses the RS-232 information from APC, waits the appropriate time, and
> then shutdown -- anyone found one?).

apcupsd, available from rpmforge?

Works fine on my ancient APC Back-UPS Pro device using the supplied
940-0024C cable. You do need the right cable though, and must configure
it accordingly.

Check your cable type and UPS compatibility here:

http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#supported-upses-and-cables