SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 03:20:02 +0100
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> Ok, I now see what you mean. It is rather confusing to refer as the
>> filesystem having problems is /mnt/sysimage, while that is not the location
>> where it normally is mounted. If you would have mentioned it was your root
>> filesystem, that would have been more clear.
>
> Dag, this is the default location that the rescue CD or media use, and
> where the installer mounts the filesystems when doing installations.
> It's very useful to be able to "chroot" into that environment to run
> commands on the "local" system, and this is how the installer does
> things as well for "after rpm is run" operations or '%post" operations
> from a kickstart setup.

I know, that is why I was confused. Why would anyone refer to the
/mnt/sysimage filesystem, while in fact it was the root filesystem (and it
was even corrupt!).

>> BTW I am surprised you are not using LVM either. I find it very strange to
>> see in this day and age a system still using mere partitions and ext2. This
>> 2012, we left filesystem on partitions at least 2 major release (about 6
>> years) ago :)
>
> For many systems, especially virtualized systems, it's a waste of time
> and of computational resources. It also makes accessing a virtualized
> filesystem for system migration or recovery more awkward. Not that
> this host was virtualized, but there are plenty of reasons to avoid
> the unnecessary complexity and simply have a /boot, /, and swap space
> if you need them. I've even had good success with only a / partition
> in many virtualized systems.

Even a virtualized system might need a filesystem that needs to grow over
time. Without LVM, and with partitions this can become problematic.
Besides, unless you are a computer LVM does not add complexity, it reduces
complexity ;-) Even the overhead is minimal.

But hey, if people prefer ext2 and partitions, I don't mind. But then
don't expect people to care when your root filesystem is corrupt and this
leads to various other problems :)

Same for LVM, the moment you need it and you want to manually fix a
partition that becomes too small, don't expect me to care when you
accidentally destroy your filesystem because of incorrect partition
boundaries or incorrect copy instructions or whatnot.

If you know what you're doing, I don't mind, but let's stick to the
case at hand :)

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/