SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 08:00:58 -0800
Hi,

Is there anyone who has/had SL-6 machines running > 200 days ?

There is a kernel bug that causes a system crash when the uptime goes
over 208.5 days. This was noted by an Scientific Linux user on the SL
Japanese mailing list [1].

According to available info, the patch [2] is now in kernel 3.1.5.
RHEL/SL 6 is affected in the sense that the buggy code is there. SL 6
has been out long enough to see this bug in action and so I wondered
if someone has already encountered a crash. I searched TUV's bugzilla
but have not been able to find one that looks related.

If your system's uptime is approaching 200 days, you might want to do
a 'planned' reboot to avoid possible crashes.

Akemi

[1] https://groups.google.com/group/sl-users-jp/browse_thread/thread/bb37e85ab4cc2e1?hl=ja
[2] http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://git.kernel.org/%3Fp%3Dlinux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git%3Ba%3Dcommitdiff%3Bh%3D4cecf6d401a01d054afc1e5f605bcbfe553cb9b9&usg=AFQjCNFaSQTxnRMEckhXsYkZlRloks3WJg