SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Andrew Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:43:59 -0600
On 05.01.2012 13:15, Ken Teh wrote:
> Quick question?
>
> I needed some packages from epel so I added the epel rpms from SL6x.
> Is it okay to leave the yum.repos.d/epel.repo enabled?  Are there
> packages on epel that will clobber the SL6x packages during the
> nightly updates?
>
> Thanks!

Ken,
You could confirm that for yourself by running an "yum update" with
EPEL enabled (notice the conspicuous lack of the "-y" option). Yum will
give you a nice list of all packages it wants to update including the
repository from which it originates, and you can just bail out if you
don't want to update at that moment (I'm pretty sure "yum list updates"
reports the repo too). That'll easily tell you if EPEL (or any other
repos) are reconfigured to stomp all over base.

Andy Hull