SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:58:36 -0500
On 01/26/2012 04:17 PM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> On 01/26/2012 03:08 PM, Howard, Chris wrote:
>> This may be a bit off track for the SL-users, but I'm
>> hoping you can steer me a bit.
>>
>> I have a Dell PE-2950 running Oracle application server.
>>
>> I have the need to use SSL between the desktops and
>> the app server.  This is in an intra-net, but with
>> some sensitive data.
>>
>> I'm investigating:
>>
>> 1) turning on SSL in the Oracle app server software
>>      This may require a bigger box and maybe more $$ to
>>        oracle for licensing.
>>
>> 2) some kind of SSL proxy which would listen, translate
>>     and pass along to the app server.  Multiple ports are involved.
>>      ?- it looks like hardware SSL devices may be primarily
>>         for big-pipe super-duper installations and mega-$$ ?
>>         We are 100Mbs and not that many users.
>>
>>      ?-  is there a solution using a second SL box sitting
>>        in front of the app server?
>>
>> Thanks for any help you might be pleased to extend.
>>
>> Chris Howard
>> Fort Collins, CO
>
> Perhaps stunnel?

+1 on stunnel.

remember ssh can forward arbitrary ports to encrypt the data in the network pipeline.

I think squid would only be useful in an HTTP protocol situation, which the OP didn't clearly specify.

Software only solutions would be fine for 100Mb/s connections with reasonably modern processors as long as you're not CPU-bound already.