SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Adam Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:29:48 -0600
On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 01:15:15PM -0600, Ken Teh wrote:
> Quick question?
>
> I needed some packages from epel so I added the epel rpms from SL6x.  Is it okay to leave the yum.repos.d/epel.repo enabled?  Are there packages on epel that will clobber the SL6x packages during the nightly updates?
>
> Thanks!

The policy on EPEL packages and updates are to not clobber anything
shipped by Red Hat in RHEL proper (including the optional channels in
RHN) so pending what all from RHEL is put together to make SL I would
imagine its quite safe. I personally run EPEL on my RHEL, SL, and CentOS
machines and to date have not run into a package clobber issue (though I
have a number of times with third party repos that aren't EPEL). That is
not to say it won't ever happen, but I've never personally found an
instance in which it did and the EPEL folks do make an effort to keep it
from happening. I personally think its pretty safe, but YMMV.

-AdamM