SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:27:50 -0500
Well shut me up!

I googled: "enablelinuxhwvideodecode=1" "OverrideGPUValidation"

And it seems that yes, particularly back in 2008 with 10.2 flash (mentioned in release notes <http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/890/cpsid_89050.html>, there was some experimental hardware decoding assistance on Linux:

"H.264 Hardware decoding on Linux is available as an experimental feature and has been tested on NVidia GT 330 and Broadcom BCM70015 GPUs. Users may choose to enable hardware decoding by adding EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in an mms.cfg configuration file. Users may experiance instability and crashes while watching hardware accelerated video. Please report any issues to http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer."

Maybe the new "Stage 3D Accelerated Graphics Rendering" feature of Flash 11 will help down the road, but I can't find much information about it for Linux and decoding H.264 video.

Regards,
Chris