SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2012

From:
"Alan S. House" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan S. House
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:14:46 -0600
That's pretty much a good explanation. I did not get into the development side
of the problem with kontact. I was told by the administrators that a patch was
available, it was applied to my version and distribution (I enabled testing
repositories), but the problem was not fixed (any of them).

I later discovered that everyone had to wait until the distribution updated
kontact/mail/etc.  You can go to the kbug system and search for my name to find
the message threads.  I did get into the development side or could even get a
copy of the kontact application. Seems it is tied to the whole kde system.

I'm sure if one digs enough and puts enough effort into it you can apply the
fixes and build the kontact system independently. I just didn't have time to do
it.

Anyway, due to other problems with the Fedora distribution and community
references I chose to go back to openSuse even though it is a company managed
distribution.  Don't get me wrong, Fedora is a fantastic distribution and so
is Red Hat (and a great company); I just believe and have experienced more
support through Suse and Novell over the years.  I have also been a beta
tester for several projects including SLED.

This is also another reason why my company would like to roll our own
distribution.  We have a couple of internal products for project management
and source code management that gives us (it should and I hope it does), a new
way to look at the over all project and manage the project and source code as
well as document stuff.  Not to make a shameless promotion, but we will release
the product within the year publicly with an open source version, of course.

I have not read this thread in a while due to time constraints so my apologies
if I've missed something in my response and the late response. And my
compliments to the group for so much input. As with Michael, I have learned a
lot and this will save me an enormous amount of time and re-discovery.

Alan S. House