SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2012

From:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:49:29 -0600
On 01/24/2012 02:46 PM, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 06:13 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> Anyway... again, just trying to give people a feel for the real scope
>>> of the issues at hand. My own engineering strategy is to get _any_
>>> deterministic process laid down and producing remotely-reasonable output
>>> first, then to easily go and tweak the fully automated/coded build
>>
>> Firstly, what/where is your assert() going to take place ?
>>
>> Secondly, what/where is your assert() going to take place without
>> inheritying legal liability ( both internally and downstream to
>> userbase )
>
> These both go beyond cryptic toward me wondering if anyone (or
> everyone?) else here has any idea of what you are talking about.

Actually, I think I just smoked enough good dope to have a theory as to
what you mean-  As in

Assert_is_this_binary_trademarklaw_legal_to_ship(dirpath path_to_iso_or_rpm)

If that is what you meant, then my answer is if redhat and other
trademark holders want to define and provide me such a function, I'll
gladly take a look at it, and if it seems reasonable, hook it into my
build process.  If they don't, I'll just do as I presume CentOS and
ScientificLinux have been doing, and just make a good faith best
reasonable effort. aka 'winging it'.

-dmc