SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2012

From:
Michael Tiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:43:51 -0500
On 1/19/12 6:17 PM, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> It's noteworthy that I spent several months recently trying to more or
> less recreate the SL6 build in a completely automated way for
> Ascendos(.org) after Troy Dawson got the ball rolling on that project.
> At the moment I've sort of thrown up my hands for awhile, as there
> didn't seem to be sufficient interest in my particular brand of
> solution and/or leadership.

Oh boy. That doesn't sound good.

I appreciated the work that was started on ascendos but I for one knew
little of the overall picture and was/am unable to read hundreds of
forum posts about what's going on. It's just that 24hrs/day problem.

Maybe this discussion will help trigger a renewed push to the community.

> And in general, is ScientificLinux capable of describing a
> deterministic algorithm used to make those choices,

I guess that's the summary of the problem right there. My friend has
suggested that he's going to build a virtual box system that contains a
virtual machine that he can pull out at any given moment, that's
'virgin' and say "build from scratch" and get an output that, other than
the dates involved is identical to the existing distribution.

> Anyway, for people interested in the landscape of this issue, this
> recent lwn article (and my arguably inflammatory attached comments)
> has some perspective on the issue.

I'll read this later today, no way I can get it done soon.