SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2012

From:
Michael Tiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:39:11 -0500
On 1/19/12 3:28 PM, Alan S. House wrote:
> If I understand you, do you want to re-build the rpm's from source and
> basically build your own SL distribution from source on your own
> repository? If so that's something that my organization is wanting to
> do also and I would be interested in any documentation and how to info.

Hi Alan. I'm including the list in the conversation only for completeness.

In his words "Some shark has asked fish who asked fish who told fish who
told me." that they wanted to be able to, in case of "emergency", build
*any* component of the system exactly as the "vendor" (ScientificLinux)
does.

I think it's an "over the top" request but I see the logic. They want to
make sure that each step they take is on solid footing, they don't want
to find that they and/or their customers are abandoned should something
go wrong. (Read that as CentOS, a problem they ran into head first.)

So, I was *sure* I'd seen it before but obviously I was wrong and the
answer that Pat provided is a very good start for them. (And I might do
it too just to learn it.)

I've passed on the info and we'll see what happens. :)

I've asked him, should he be able to, provide *back* the documentation
on how he got from point A to point Z but with his company's management,
I'm not sure yet.