SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2011

From:
Nelson Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:11:54 +0000
Hi all,

I would like to bring into your consideration an issue that appeared
to me on CentOS and that might also appear on SL (I haven't tested it,
only next week after Christmas I have some time to check out). It can
be that there is no issue with SL, though I believe that it won't be
the case.

The package 'redhat-rpm-config' places a shell script called 'dist.sh'
on /usr/lib/rpm/redhat. This script is used by some macro's to
determine the correct suffix when generating a package (el5, el6,
fc16, etc). This script can be run with arguments which should return
values, for example:

 $/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/dist.sh --dist            # should return el6 on
Enterprise Linux 6.
 $/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/dist.sh --disttype      # should return el
 $/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/dist.sh --distnum      # should return 6 on
Enterprise Linux 6.

redhat-rpm-config on CentOS6 doesn't properly return --disttype and
--dist. I have opened a bug on CentOS bugzilla
(http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5331&nbn=2).

In case you want to check this situation on Scientific Linux, could be
interesting. While I don't run on product SL or CentOS (only use pure
RHEL), I find it easier to build my packages with mock or openSUSE
Build System on CentOS or Scientific Linux. This bug prevents that the
'el6' suffix gets on the package name.

Hope this helps.

NM