SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2011

From:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:18:11 -0600
On 11/15/2011 05:30 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi SL developers,
>
> I'm currently recompiling all packages of SL 6.1 for an embedded box
> which has a Geode LX and cannot handle all i686 instructions. It works
> out ok - had to apply tweaks for some of them, like deinstalling
> texlive for linuxdoc-tools, but a few packages just won't compile.
> Python, for example, needs a manual fix because of one failing
> "import syslog".
>
> I'm sure you had the same situation. Are the build scripts employed by
> the SL maintainers also public? I'd really like to get my hands on them
> to get rid of those pesky last few dozens of packages I just can't
> compile.

Troy Dawson who used to work on ScientificLinux until early september,
had been also been working part time for several months as the lead
developer on the Ascendos(.org) project.  It is a project aiming to do a
more closely identical to upstream EL build, but with an entirely open
and transparent community and build system.  He had brought over scripts
and automation for the koji setup and some other semi-manual related EL6
processes that SL had been doing.

After Troy left to get paychecks in a land further upstream, the project
founder Andrew Cutler asked me to pick up where Troy left off.  I had
already discussed with them my more ambitous drive to get the entire
build/system 100% automated.  The process for generating Ascendos'
output is not quite yet, but getting really rather close to-

a) boot x64 livecd of bootstrap os (e.g. f13 or sl60)
b) > git clone git://github.com/Ascendos/Ascendos
    > ./Ascendos/tools/bin/el-build bake \
    >     distroname="MyDistro" \
    >     tmpdir=/some/path/to/storage \
    >     outputdir=/some/path/to/mydistro
c) push /some/path/to/mydistro to your mirrors

Where that process involves a simple first phase of mirroring the
bootstrapping and upstream sources from their well known location on the
internets, and then using a specified bootstrap OS and repos to generate
a deterministicly defined builder VM, which then proceeds to take the
big set of input sources, recompile/compose everything and produce the
output tree suitable for mirroring to the masses.

Anyway, it may be interesting to you, I know that many others here must
know of our project.  If there is any feature of our build tools that
were it to exist might make the tools more/useful for your or anyones
purposes, we'd love to here about it.  Just send me an email, or
preferably to the ascendos-dev mailinglist, or alternately file a bug
with RFE at the beginning of the bug title, at

http://bugzilla.ascendos.org

Also informative

http://ascendos.org/wiki/Development
http://ascendos.org/wiki/Build