SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2011

From:
Nelson Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:07:55 +0000
2011/11/17 Torsten Luettgert <[log in to unmask]>:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:06:54 -0600 (CST)
> Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> > I'm sure you had the same situation. Are the build scripts employed
>> > by the SL maintainers also public? I'd really like to get my hands
>> > on them to get rid of those pesky last few dozens of packages I
>> > just can't compile.
>>
>> What problems do you still have?
>
> There are quite some packages in the SL 6.1 i686 repository which
> I can't compile. I can't give you an actual list atm because I shot
> myself in the foot by switching to --target=i686 (I used i586 before)
> with heavily modified build instructions in /usr/lib/rpm/... - looks
> like glibc sets its -march directly depending on the target, not the
> CFLAGS we pass. Full recompile, la la la, will be another day until I'm
> up to speed again.
>
> Btw, how did you manage to build all those mingw32 thingies? They have
> circular dependencies like there's no tomorrow. Also, mingw32-binutils
> is hardwired to x86_64 only...

bootstrap ? (shot in the dark, i don't really know what you're talking about).

>> Note that we build using koji which uses mock to build "custom
>> chroot" build areas.  This ensures that "extra" libraries are not
>> pulled into a build.  There were fixed by hand so the build scripts
>> have nothing to do with that.
>
> Didn't know koji yet. Looks like a good system to me. I just have one
> chroot in which I periodically replace the installed RPMs by the
> newly-built i586 ones, starting with a standard i686 install.

Superior: OBS (Open Build Service), used by SUSE, Renault, Intel, etc.
I personally don't like Koji.
http://openbuildserve.org/

I'm currently packaging all the Mono stack (and Banshee) for
Enterprise Linux using OBS (openSUSE infra-structure). On work I use
mainly mock (also used by Koji).

--
Nelson Marques

/* http://www.marques.so