SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2011

From:
Torsten Luettgert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Torsten Luettgert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:03:46 +0100
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:06:54 -0600 (CST)
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > I'm sure you had the same situation. Are the build scripts employed
> > by the SL maintainers also public? I'd really like to get my hands
> > on them to get rid of those pesky last few dozens of packages I
> > just can't compile.
>
> What problems do you still have?

There are quite some packages in the SL 6.1 i686 repository which
I can't compile. I can't give you an actual list atm because I shot
myself in the foot by switching to --target=i686 (I used i586 before)
with heavily modified build instructions in /usr/lib/rpm/... - looks
like glibc sets its -march directly depending on the target, not the
CFLAGS we pass. Full recompile, la la la, will be another day until I'm
up to speed again.

Btw, how did you manage to build all those mingw32 thingies? They have
circular dependencies like there's no tomorrow. Also, mingw32-binutils
is hardwired to x86_64 only...

> Note that we build using koji which uses mock to build "custom
> chroot" build areas.  This ensures that "extra" libraries are not
> pulled into a build.  There were fixed by hand so the build scripts
> have nothing to do with that.

Didn't know koji yet. Looks like a good system to me. I just have one
chroot in which I periodically replace the installed RPMs by the
newly-built i586 ones, starting with a standard i686 install.

I also implemented a crude spec-file-patching mechanism now, let's see
how far that gets me.

> Most of the problem rpms were fixed either with a change to the spec
> file which creates a updated src rpm which should be in the SRPMS
> area or via "special" selection of compile distro which was Fedora
> 13/14 in some cases.  This was also done manually.

Oh. I'm hoping to have it self-contained (is it called like that?), I
mean having the system build itself once I managed to get all RPMs to
compile (or giving up and ignoring them because they're not necessary
for my boxes).

I'll cry for help again once I hit a wall :-)

Thanks and regards,
Torsten