SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 07:35:27 -0400
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 7:14 AM, mad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I install SL6 via Cobbler (PXE) within a company network. While
> installing anaconda tries to reach Scientific Linux ftp server.
>
> The outgoing network traffic uses a proxy. The connection fails and
> every try does take time.
>
> Can I switch off these network connections completely?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

Set up a local mirror. Use *that* as the URL for your installation:
the packages are GPG signed and thus authenticated, which helps
protect from cracking of your local mirror. And if you can, make that
mirror public! Share the bandwidth you're costing to host it!

I use precisely this for virtual host building, and did so for RHEL
using the "reposync" tool to populate the local mirrors and
non-standard channels for internal access. Always made sure I had
enough licenses, but the bandwidth and license management for reaching
out to external sites for big packages can add up very fast if you
synchronize updates at all.

Also note if you do this: Scientific Linux 57 showed up last night at
my local mirror, apparently in pre-release and without the bulky ISO's
published. But I'm a happy camper because it just solved the pain in
the keister of installing a recent jdk and jbossas from JPackage for
Scientific Linux 5. And it solved an openldap feature request by
including openldap24 that I get to hand to someone this morning.
Woo-hoo!!!!