SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Jordan Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jordan Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:11:55 -0500
>> On 09/06/2011 03:14 PM, Jordan Dean wrote:
>>> Has anyone found a player / codec that is in the standard SL
>>> repositories that will playback mpeg 1 encoded video.  (Totem does
>>> not have the codec in the two sets of gstreamer plugins that are
provided).
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jordan Dean
>> Can you provide a link to an example mpeg-1 encoded file to test?
>>
>       On SL5.6 we use VLC.
>
>       yum --enablerepo=dag install vlc
>
> --
>                 Best regards,
>                               Robert FRANCHISSEUR

Is Dag's repo considered a standard SL repo?

Christopher Tooley
Systems, HEP/Astronomy UVic

For my purposes, the only thing that would be considered standard would be
specifically from the SL repos, we would also use the same thing on our TUV
machines.

It appears however that this is not possible due to concerns about mpeg-1
licenses / licensing.  We'll just figure out what we want to do instead, I
was hoping that I was just missing something.

-Jordan