SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 09:38:55 -0700
VLC is in rpmforge. If you install the rpmforge repo:

	yum install rpmforge--release

You should be able to install vlc:

	yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install vlc

There is also an adobe repository:
	yum install adobe-release
then install the flash plugin:
	yum install flash-plugin

For virtualbox, you will probably just have to install via their packaged RPM:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
they have one specific to EL 6: "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 ("RHEL6") / Oracle Linux 6 ("OL6")"

As for a paint alternative, there's GIMP available in the SL base repos, just:
	yum install gimp.

Apparently you can get chrome running on EL6 by following this tutorial:
http://blog.ask4itsolutions.com/2011/03/20/howto-installing-google-chrome-on-rhel-6-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-32bit-64bi/

I haven't yet tried that though.

-Chris