SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:32:51 -0400
Major concern about rolling upgrades is that you never really know the side
effects.
We have been on SL 5.6 for a long time and everything works that we use.
If SL 6.X is going to be supported for the foreseeable future then we will
make the upgrade to all of our systems.
We use SL 5.6 to run our business, & factory.   For what we do it works and
its stable.  Runs on relatively old hardware - a little slower but
functional.

We use VM-Ware to run Windows & the applications we need.
Don't want to spend the effort every 6 mo. and have to service the parts that
now do not work.

One of our real concerns is What was StarOffice.   We started using StarOffice
3 under OS/2 and are now using OOffice 3.14. with the old StarOffice 5 file
formats.   The ability to convert to MS formats and to .pdf work well.
Since it has been donated to Appache - is there an active group that is going
to support and expand it.
The real down side of OOffice 3.14 is the graphics / plots it used to work
well but has been mangled.   It may be fine for some business plots but as an
engineering tool it has lost it effectiveness - Difficult if not impossible
to set up to plot data.
A lot of the developers have jumped ship and started a new offshoot.
Any Thoughts.

Regards
Larry Linder