SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
lancebaynes87 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lancebaynes87 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 04:28:18 -0700
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/21692/scientific-linux-which-version-has-bigger-support-date

We have several Desktop PC's that has Fedora 14 installed. Great!

But: We need a Linux distro that doesn't need a reinstall in ""every half year"". (no, dist-upgrade is not an option!).

We found the Scientific-Linux. So according to:

https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/roadmap

SOLUTION #1
if we install 6.1 with GNOME, and use it for Desktop purposes, then we will have updates until 2017-11-11. WOW!! That's more then 6 years!

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?d1=29&m1=9&y1=2011&d2=11&m2=11&y2=2017&ti=on

This is f*cking great for an "enterprise".

SOLUTION #2
if we install the:

http://www.osst.co.uk/Download/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso/SL-61-x86_64-2011-07-27-Install-DVD.iso.torrent

that's a "rolling release". Now I haven't used any "rolling release" based Linux distros so I don't know what that exactly means. Q: does it mean that if I install it once, then I never have to re-install it again because of a version upgrade, ex.: Scientific-Linux 7 comes out, and neither do I need to "dist-upgrade"? - Because rolling release means that there is no more version numbers?