SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:53:26 -0400
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Pablo Cavero
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know if exist any tips to have a faster scp transfer. In the
> Client, or in the Server Config.
>
> I'm testing use the standar SCP and the PSCP, a command extra from the Puty
> apps.

This is more of an SSH question than a Scientific Linux question.
Fortunately for you, I've been dealing with SSH since before OpenSSH
existed. (Not kidding: I wrote early ports for SunOS of SSH version 1
and 2).

So, faster than what? For transferring a few files in a single
transfer, the authentication procedure is usually the expensive part
in time, and thus slows you down as a user. That depends partly on
authentication used, and one of the subtle delays is the server doing
a reverse DNS lookup on the connecting IP address for logging reasons.
So make sure your client's reverse DNS is registered, or turn it off
on the server by changing the init script to use 'sshd -u0" instead of
"sshd", which sets the reverse DNS name length to "0" and skips the
lookup altogether.

For bulky transfers, especially transfers of material that is mostly
identical but has a few small changes in a few files, consider
switching to "rsync" over SSH. Rsync version 3.0.x, which is available
in Scientific Linux 6 and now is in the 5.7 release, is a considerable
improvement of rsync version 2, and it's very handy. It can also
handle symlinks  and hard links and auto-deletions correctly, which is
a big improvement.

Since you're using Windows clients, I'd also strongly urge you to
consider WinSCP instead of PSCP and PSFTP. Putty is a fabulous Windows
tool for shell sessions and X sessions, but the PSCP and PSFTP tools
are no better than the command line tools, which is wasteful when you
have a nice GUI to work with.

> Home page of Putty:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Link to Download the File, to make and compiling the new commands:
> http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/putty-0.61.tar.gz
>
> Well, I see a few best performance in the standar scp, but this command,
> don't support run in a batch, add the user and password like parameter.
> And generate and share the RSA public kay is too much work, when some one
> have to many clients.

rsync over SSH, if you can script it, even if you have to run it from
a CygWin shell. And WinSCP is pretty good for simple graphics.