SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:43:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----

Yes, it was "On" before I changed to "true". it does not seem to matter though. I still get intermittent responses.

> Unfortunately, I can't assist you on gnome interfering issues.. these
> are hard to debug and deal with. Can give another idea, though - there
> is alternative way to turning touchpad off while typing with syndaemon -
> it's to make it ignore palm touch, the synclient setting for that is
> described here
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synaptics#Disable_Trackpad_while_Typing
> (sadly, most of this article contents is for Xorg 8 w/udev, so it won't
> work with SL6 which uses Xorg 7.4 w/hal)

I have just tried set PalmDetect=1, but no visible change (yet):

$ synclient PalmDetect=1

but I may just be in one of the non-responsive phase of the system!

>>  B) gnome desktop manipulation (unsuccessful).
>>  The script for gnome could not work. complained of not finding
> "/desktop/gnome/...". find could not trace it (rooted elsewhere) and
> so I abandon the approach.
>
> There won't be such file - it's gconf key (you can browse around with
> gconf-editor after installing corresponding package, for example).
> But if there is no such key, probably touchpad manipulation from isn't
> supported on SL6.. (this key exists on Fedora system, for example).

it seems the key needs a physical directory somewhere, even if it is not
literally stored there as a file or subdirectory, as the following shows:

I've traced the directory root to be "~/.gconf", viz:
  /home/wss/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/
but meet handicap that gconftool-2 --set ... does not want subdirectories
starting with a period (e.g., .gconf), and the file "touchpad_enabled"
does NOT exist in it (since it's a key?).

having a soft link via:

$ ln -s /home/wss/.gconf tmpgconf

solved the first problem. Repeated running of the script made the second
problem go away. The transcript follows (script in file gnome-touchpadtoggle):

[wss@localhost synaptics]$ ./gnome-touchpadtoggle
Failed to get value for `/home/wss/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled': Bad key or directory name: "/home/wss/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled": Can't have a period '.' right after a slash '/'
Error setting value: Bad key or directory name: "/home/wss/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled": Can't have a period '.' right after a slash '/'
[wss@localhost synaptics]$
[wss@localhost synaptics]$ ./gnome-touchpadtoggle
No value set for `/home/wss/tmpgconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled'$(gconftool-2 --get "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled")
[wss@localhost synaptics]$ $(gconftool-2 --get "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled")
[wss@localhost synaptics]$ $(gconftool-2 --get "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled")
[wss@localhost synaptics]$ echo  $(gconftool-2 --get "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled")
true