SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 04:21:02 +0400
Hi William Shu!

 On 2011.09.19 at 16:28:32 -0700, William Shu wrote next:

> I have SL 6.0 installed on a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB drive, which
> I use on various laptops (and desktops). The touchpad is so sensitive
> on some machines and I would like to disable it. At the same time, the
> attached mouse seems to be selectively responsive, notably its left
> button. Looking through the docs etc,a synaptics input driver has been
> installed, but the corresponding xorg.conf file is not in place for me
> to modify. (From a separate thread on nVidia, creating this file is
> NOT automatic in SL 6.)

Btw, once you enable real-time configuration, you can do lots of magic
with your touchpad, for example this snippet (works on modern systems
but haven't checked on SL6 - but probably it should work) - tweaks
touchpad so that double-finger tap works as middle button that's
always missing on touchpads (of course, touchpad must supports
multitouch) and also disables touchpad while you are typing text, so it
won't be sending annoying commands during that.

syndaemon -i 1 -d -K && xinput set-int-prop \"SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad\" \"Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure\" 32 10 &","0","*")

It's kind of a magic so please don't ask me how it works, I have no idea :)
It just does!

--

Vladimir