SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:38:03 -0700
Seriously, I'd suggest you do one thing or the other. But I am not going
to make your decision for you. On one machine (a virtual box machine)
the transition from 6.0 to 6.1 was painless. (Or let's say no more pain
than already existed with SELinux.) On the other machine I had an nVidia
related problem that went away with a kernel update that happened
automatically. The virtual machine is on 6.x so I catch the upgrades
when they come. If no serious issues crop up I plan to move the main
Linux machine up to the next release after it's had a little time
to settle. But there's just my partner and I and about 20 machines and
assorted gadgets relying on the Linux machine. The needs for a larger
production environment will be different. The needs for a single desktop
user will also be different.

Assess your needs, determine what activities must be supported, determine
which OSs best support those activities. Then jump in and be prepared to
bleed a little. In the best possible world, there will be no blood. So
you'll feel good about that. If you bleed a little, you were emotionally
prepared already and have plans to cope, one hopes. So you feel good that
you coped. If you sit around dithering you feel bad all the way around.

{o.o}