SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 00:42:52 -0700
On 2011/09/17 13:25, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Akemi Yagi<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>>> In this respect I want to add - does the yum "PRESTO" plug-in works with SL6.1?
>>
>> Well, this is "off-topic" in this thread, but anyway...
>>
>> There is no support for yum-presto in SL. My [very wild] guess is
>> that, because SL was primarily serving universities or research labs
>> that maintain their own local repos or are on fast Internet(2), use of
>> deltaRPMs was not really advantageous.
>
> There's also the broader presence of the verifiable SL repositories.
> Our favorite upstream vendor has to deal with a lot of commercial
> customers hitting their corporate, authenticated and channel managed
> servers for individual channels where a customer has access to this
> channel with that license, and that channel with that license, and
> channel access may be swapped to different hosts, and chaos ensues.
>
> SL and other rebuilds of The Upstream Vendor's tools simply publish
> the whole thing in a more accessible and browseable format. The result
> is better failover, as long as enough mirrors are willing to stay up
> and public.
>
>> I'm not sure if the SL team would consider adding the yum-presto
>> support now that there is an increasing number of SL users [1] that
>> might benefit from it. No doubt it will require a good amount of
>> additional resources and work on the infrastructure etc.
>
> I'd be curious how much of the traffic is merely yum repodata parsing,
> and home is actual downloading of packages.

Er, ah, um, but, sir, it's already there.

[jdow ~]$ yum list yum-presto
Loaded plugins: aliases, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror, refresh-
               : packagekit, security, tmprepo, verify, versionlock
  * elrepo: elrepo.org
  * epel: mirror.steadfast.net
  * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
  * sl: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
  * sl-security: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
Available Packages
yum-presto.noarch                         0.6.2-1.el6                         sl

{o.o}