SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:54:58 -0500
On 09/16/2011 09:21 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a sweet old duffer on CentOS 5.6, x32 with
> an HP DJ 6940 printer on the USB bus. CUPS like to
> put it offline a lot, which frustrates the two of us.
>
> There is also no easy way to clean the heads (other
> than a dubious command line program).
>
> Can anyone recommend a Linux friendly ink jet? One
> with a front panel control to clean the thing? Must
> be CUPS friendly too.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I've been using HP exclusively for years with SL.  USB going offline has
been a problem in the past, and there are scripts to help with it (newer
cups version handle things more gracefully).  Currently I've been using
HP Officejet 7000WF printers over ethernet with extremely good luck.
They provide a web interface to perform all of the Windows driver
functions, as well as a few buttons on the front to print diagnostics
and initiate head cleanings.

-Mark