SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:33:03 -0400
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Christopher Tooley wrote:

Thanks very much, Christopher.  Ghostxps did the job for me.

> You might try using kpdf... apparently okular is based upon that.
> That's located in the kdegraphics package.  However, it looks like
> okular is specifically the one that reads xps.

I had tried kpdf, but without success.

> There is also ghostxps which can apparently convert from xps to pdf
> format. (you'll probably have to compile that, but it's easy!)
> http://www.ghostscript.com/download/

Easy, but not quick :-)

The documentation for gxps is a bit thin, so I'll include a couple of
things I learned in hopes of saving time for the next person who goes
through this.

You can speed up compilation of gxps by doing 'make xps' instead of
'make', assuming you don't want to compile the pcl interpreter as well.

gxps -h gives you commandline options.  Use
gxps -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=<pdf file> <xps file>
to convert <xps file> to <pdf file>.  If you leave out -dNOPAUSE, you
are prompted to press ENTER for each separate page of the document.

When I ran just
gxps <xps file>
the file was displayed on the screen, but there were no controls for
moving back and forth among pages, and the text was in a barely readable
font.  There was a warning on the command line "Some glyphs of the font
TimesNewRomanPSMT requires a patented True Type interpreter."  There was
no such warning when I converted to pdf and the text looked much better.

Stephen Isard