SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:09:50 -0400
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Garrett Holmstrom
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 2011-09-14 18:20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> And unfortunately, it can be confusing as all get-out for building
>> SRPM's for multiple releases. Subversion, for example, has different
>> dependencies in "el5" than in "el6", or in "f14" or later, and working
>> out the logic for selecting the right options for your OS is a bit of
>> an adventure when unpredictable and non-major-release "%dist" settings
>> are used.
>
> Thankfully, when you're building with mock or you're building natively on
> nearly anything that isn't el < 6, you can use other macros that are
> designed to solve precisely this problem.
>
> %if 0%{?el5}
> # SL 5-specific dependency info
> %endif

I use this myself! It's been handy, but some SRPM authors, especially
3rdparty ones, have used some very strange logic based on %dist.. I
try to straighten it out, but it can be hard with low maintenance
projects.

If you want *weird* logic, go look in the Samba SRPM's from
http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.6/src/rpm/samba3-3.6.0-44.src.rpm.
That scan's /etc/*-release files.....