SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:02:53 -0500
On 09/14/2011 02:24 PM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Pat Riehecky!
>
>   On 2011.09.14 at 13:42:43 -0500, Pat Riehecky wrote next:
>
>> Sorry about that, the fastbugs process got modified when 6.1 came
>> out and it hadn't been fully restored to working.  The delay was
>> mostly because of human (ie ME!) error.
>>
>> If you do a  yum clean all  the packages you are looking for should
>> be in fastbugs for 6.1 and 6.x now.  Typically we release
>> bugfix/enhancement updates on a weekly basis as occasionally the
>> packages don't build easily and its nice to have a bit of flexible
>> time in getting them released.  When security errata doesn't build
>> it gets full attention, when an enhancement doesn't build we care
>> and work hard at it, but its just not the same.
>>
>> Let me know if you notice anything still missing.
>>
> Thanks, that was very fast!
> Yes, I do see all the packages in fastbugs. I'll wait a bit before
> installing till debuginfo packages will become available, since I don't
> want to make glibc debuginfo non-compatible (they will eventually,
> right? I understand that glibc and some other debuginfos are large and
> mirrors take time to catch up with these).
>
> I must say, I'm so pleasantly surprised with how fast updates appear in
> SL and that debuginfo is nearly always (aside from few mirror lag
> issues) up to date, it's really breath of fresh air after Centos that
> I've been using for years before, to always be able to analyze with
> perf&  oprofile because all the debuginfo is actually there and gets
> updates together with packages. Please keep up the good work, SL is
> definitely the best distro for many of my tasks.

I'm glad the delay wasn't overly inconvenient, some of this stuff should
have been out weeks ago....

Anyway, the mirrors should pick everything up on their next sync,
provided what we've got posted now is actually accurate.

Can I have you give
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6x/archive/debuginfo/  a
quick look over for the debuginfo packages you want.  If they are posted
there, everyone who mirrors SL 6 should pick them up at their next
update.  If not, then they are hiding out in a directory I haven't found
yet and should get posted.

And I can honestly say that, with a community as wonderful as this, its
a pleasure to be a part!

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux Developer