SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:42:43 -0500
On 09/14/2011 12:25 PM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I wonder why SL6 (with installed yum-conf-sl6x and yum-conf-sl-other and
> turned on fastbugs) is missing lots of various updates from TUV.
>
> For example, bug fix updates to curl, glibc, binutils, portreserve,
> xmlrpc-c
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1284.html
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1255.html
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1179.html
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1186.html
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1285.html
>
> Glibc update is almost 1 month old, for example; corresponding SRPMS of
> glibc, binutils and others are freely available, however no SL repos
> include these.
>
> There is also whole bunch of fasttrack updates which, as I thought, were
> supposed to appear in fastbugs SL6 repo but they don't. SRPMS for (at
> least most) of these are avaliable too.
>  From the list on
> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-fastrack-6-errata.html?by=date
> I can see lots of packages like
> cpufrequtils
> libcgroup
> powertop
> tmpwatch
> smartmontools
> vte
> newt
> qt
> setup
> doxygen
> sudo
> tuned
> mingetty
> DeviceKit-power
> attr
> perl-Net-DNS
> qt3
> file
>
> which aren't in SL repos. (there are maybe some others, too)
>

> My question is very simple, if this situation is under control and these
> updates will appear in SL at some point, or something broke and they
> were missed out and thus won't be rebuilt until someone will fix
> building process or somethings. I can see that some of updates from
> "bug fix" category and fasttrack updates get rebuilt for SL - for
> example "bug fix" for selinux-policy appeared in repos, but older "bug
> fix" glibc update didn't.
>
> Thanks!

Sorry about that, the fastbugs process got modified when 6.1 came out
and it hadn't been fully restored to working.  The delay was mostly
because of human (ie ME!) error.

If you do a  yum clean all  the packages you are looking for should be
in fastbugs for 6.1 and 6.x now.  Typically we release
bugfix/enhancement updates on a weekly basis as occasionally the
packages don't build easily and its nice to have a bit of flexible time
in getting them released.  When security errata doesn't build it gets
full attention, when an enhancement doesn't build we care and work hard
at it, but its just not the same.

Let me know if you notice anything still missing.

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux Developer