SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:54:12 -0700
On 2011-09-12, at 12:51 PM, Steve Jahl wrote:

>>> in
>
> In my experience, if there's an auth failure, GDM prints a warning on the login window, rather than blacking out the screen, and dumping you back to a login window. Seeing as you can auth via other methods, I don't think this is the case. You can probably find some info as to what's happening in the /var/log/gdm/* log files.
>
> To me, it sounds to me like there's a crash somewhere in your gnome session. Is there any relevant information in the ldap user's ~/.xsession-errors file?
>
> I've also seen this happen if there's a corrupted session state file (~/.gnome2/session). You can try removing that, and see if if clears anything up for you.
>
> -Steve

Also, here's the gdm greeter log:

===========
** (<unknown>:2302): DEBUG: Client registered with session manager: /org/gnome/SessionManager/Client1
** (process:2324): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=2324 display=:0.0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-cWnJhZ/database

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2322): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2322): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
gdm-simple-greeter[2324]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:5460: widget not within a GtkWindow
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x220002b (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

So yeah, my google fu is not good enough for these problems. Besides getting into the actual source of GDM to see what's going on, I suppose I could do an strace...?

-Chris