SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2011

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:10:23 +0100
On 11/09/11 18:39, Chris Pemberton wrote:

> Some good info over at the archlinux forums:
>
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=881549
>
> http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/
>
> To test the nvidia driver: blacklist the nouveau and intel graphic
> modules, disable kernel mode-setting, and boot to runlevel 3 (all via
> the kernel command line args below). Then run nvidia's xorg creation
> tool (nvidia-xconfig). Give X a try and see if it works.
>
> nouveau.disable=1 intel.disable=1 nomodeset 3 <--append this to grub
> kernel line

The elrepo.org kmod-nvidia package already disables nouveau mode-setting
(nouveau.modeset=0), blacklists the nouveau driver and runs
nvidia-xconfig to create a suitable xorg.conf file.

Perhaps in the case of these hybrid systems we also need to blacklist
the Intel driver too as suggested above. Do we know which Intel driver
is being loaded?

Once you have worked out what works for you through testing, you should
file a bug at http://elrepo.org/bugs/ and we can get these fixes
incorporated into the package.