SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2011

Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 15:38:16 +1200
Fcron is a scheduler that can replace and is far superior to both
vixie-cron & anacron. I have often wondered at the relatively small
level of take up, which I now realise could be a consequence of the rpm
installation being misconfigured in SL6, and going all the way back to
RH8. Before discovering this lately I used to have to always re-install
from raw tarball to get working software.

Fcron has a default installation directory of /etc, and when custom
installing to some other <DESTDIR> instead, as the RH rpm does, there
are special instructions to be followed. The RH rpm for fcron does not
follow those instructions in relation to PAM and, while apparently
installing ok, ends up broken, with a spurious pam.conf file under
/usr/local/etc.

Sean