SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:35:57 -0500
It's not the preferred way of installing, you are correct.  The majority
of packages that are on the two DVD set, that aren't in the Install DVD,
aren't listed in the comps entry, and thus, you cannot actually install
them during the install.

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/iso/readme
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/x86_64/iso/readme

OK, it just occurred to me that both of you were talking about doing
"upgrades" and not "installs".  Are you upgrading from SL 6.0 to SL 6.1?
If that is the case, it is possible that you might have some packages
installed from SL 6.0 that aren't on the Install DVD.

The 2 DVD set has caused us more problems than it's solved.  (In my
opinion)

I'm thinking for SL 6.2, we either won't have the Everything DVD, or
make it a Dual Layer DVD iso.  I'm leaning towards the Dual-Layer DVD,
because there are several people/groups who need the Everything DVD's to
easily bring the whole repository to a non-networked machine or cluster.

Troy

On 08/02/2011 02:54 AM, Fons Laan wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> Maybe just a habit, from the days that my internet connection was not
> fast enough.
>
> You seem to indicate that the 2 DVD set is not your preferred way of
> upgrading.
>
> Regards,
> Fons.
>

> Hi,
>
> Why are both of you using the 2 DVD set for installs?
>
> This isn't a trick question, I really want to know.
>
> Thanks
> Troy
>

> On 08/01/2011 12:38 PM, Jordan Dean wrote:
>
>     This happened to me last night as well. Exact same problem, the machine
>     would not let it go. I think the install is not un-mounting the first
>     DVD when it asks for the second one, this prevents it from opening.
>     Luckily, I was using a USB dvd drive and just pulled the power to force
>     an unmount.
>     -Jordan

>     *From:* [log in to unmask]
>     <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group