SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2011

From:
"Johnson, Kent A (GE Healthcare)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Kent A (GE Healthcare)
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:52:41 -0400
Hi Steven,

Yes, thanks for acknowledging that someone sees this and is annoyed by
it...

With the stock SL6.1 single x86_64 DVD ISO, after pressing cancel at the
NM setup requestor, the ctrl-alt-f3 terminal shows an error trying to
reach the SL repo http address at a path to ftp security updates.

So, we think that anaconda or initrd may be preconfigured to check for
those during install. This reference causes the NM setup requestor (to
access network). But, even if we fully configure the network in the
kickstart, the NM popup still occurs. Our temporary workaround is to
fully configure eth0 AND --activate it in the network line which then
eliminates the NM popup (for an unattended/non-iteractive kickstart
install). But, you must have a connected eth0 or the installer fails...

network --onboot=no --device=eth0 --bootproto=dhcp --hostname=freshload
--activate

But, all of our systems may not have eth0 connected (or eth0 be the port
we want). We are currently rerolling the ISO without any repo or update
references in /etc to see if that helps or if this is somehow embedded
in anaconda or the initrd.

I submitted this issue to the SL developers list also but no responses
and we couldn't find anything on the RedHat bugzilla about this (so we
will probably submit it).

We did find that if you don't have a network device (by disabling in
BIOS), then the NM popup doesn't happen. So, the logic seems to be that
if there is a network device, get the security updates, whether or not
the network is left out of or fully configured in the kickstart.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of unique scenario and only a minor nuisance
for most folks..

thanks & regards,
Kent