SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:42:59 -0700
I apologize if this appears off the direct SL topic; however, please
bear with me.

In a postscript comment and question to a recent email, as well as from
highly inconsistent with respect to threads.  Irrespective of whatever
RFCs that may exist on this matter, the reality is what is in the
production MUAs.

Here is a suggestion.  At this epoch, Mozilla Thunderbird exists for
essentially all workstation (end user interface computer) platforms and
environments.  Thunderbird accepts plug-ins and extensions.  Can an
extension be written for Thunderbird that properly handles threading?

Such an extension would eliminate/address issues such as:

Users of badly-threaded MUAs like mine (M$ OutLook) would see a new
thread because they go STRICTLY by the text of the subject line.
Users of well-threaded MUAs would see the new post in the old thread,
with a subject change.
It's a situation where you're damned if you do, and double-damned if you
don't.

End quote.

The only case under which my scheme could not work is when the
organization/employer insists on a particular MUA (e.g., a MS product)
that does not properly respect threading.

The caveat is once this is done, it would need to be maintained as
Thunderbird evolves.

Again, I apologize for continuing this subject, but establishing a clean
conforming standard avoids the sorts of discord that a well intended
question caused.

Yasha Karant