SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:29:40 -0700
I considered upgrading my workstation from CentOS 5.6 to SL 6.0, and
discovered that the only practical method was a partial fresh install.

As I keep many important directory trees on different partitions (for
reasons I can discuss under separate cover), I basically did a complete
copy of the system trees from which I would need to restore files.
/home is on a different partition, and thus the install did NOT clobber
it because I instructed the install process not to do so.

Note that I did NOT repartition the hard drives, nor did I change to any
other filesystems than those already on the partitions being clobbered
by the (partial) fresh install.  There was a comment as I recall from
Connie Sieh as to which directory trees had to be a fresh install, and
those I did.

The result booted fine, and by restoring what I needed from the saved,
unclobbered copies, I had everything I needed.  The only glitch I had
was the issue of polymorphism:  I needed X86-64 as a base system, but I
also needed to run a number of IA-32 applications. My Centos 5.6 was
IA-32. I now seem to have solved the polymorphic issues for my the
instance of my particular workstation configuration.

Yasha Karant